A survey that matters

Thursdays in Black and NZUSA have launched their 2016 students’ survey.

The purpose of the survey is to understand how sexual harassment and sexual violence manifest in student communities and to identify gaps in education for young people. It is the first of its kind in New Zealand.

The information collected will be used to inform future programmes seeking to reduce victimisation of students in all areas of their lives.

The survey has been designed with input from students and survivors, and also includes sections addressing the experiences of disabled and queer communities.

Thursdays in Black’s National Coordinator Izzy O’Neill says the survey is a “unique opportunity for Thursdays in Black to better understand how and why violence happens in student communities.”

“Responses to this survey will allow us to produce programmes that will work to create environments where all students are able to pursue their academic, working, and social lives free from violence,” she added.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee applauded O’Neill and NZUSA and says the survey “will go a long way in finding out more about students experiences, as opposed to just getting statistics and numbers.”

Thursdays in Black encourages all students who have been enrolled in tertiary education in New Zealand in the last five years to participate. The survey can be accessed online at thursdaysinblack.org.nz/survey.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this