A survey that matters

Thursdays in Black and NZUSA have launched their 2016 students’ survey.

The purpose of the survey is to understand how sexual harassment and sexual violence manifest in student communities and to identify gaps in education for young people. It is the first of its kind in New Zealand.

The information collected will be used to inform future programmes seeking to reduce victimisation of students in all areas of their lives.

The survey has been designed with input from students and survivors, and also includes sections addressing the experiences of disabled and queer communities.

Thursdays in Black’s National Coordinator Izzy O’Neill says the survey is a “unique opportunity for Thursdays in Black to better understand how and why violence happens in student communities.”

“Responses to this survey will allow us to produce programmes that will work to create environments where all students are able to pursue their academic, working, and social lives free from violence,” she added.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee applauded O’Neill and NZUSA and says the survey “will go a long way in finding out more about students experiences, as opposed to just getting statistics and numbers.”

Thursdays in Black encourages all students who have been enrolled in tertiary education in New Zealand in the last five years to participate. The survey can be accessed online at thursdaysinblack.org.nz/survey.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t