A survey that matters

Thursdays in Black and NZUSA have launched their 2016 students’ survey.

The purpose of the survey is to understand how sexual harassment and sexual violence manifest in student communities and to identify gaps in education for young people. It is the first of its kind in New Zealand.

The information collected will be used to inform future programmes seeking to reduce victimisation of students in all areas of their lives.

The survey has been designed with input from students and survivors, and also includes sections addressing the experiences of disabled and queer communities.

Thursdays in Black’s National Coordinator Izzy O’Neill says the survey is a “unique opportunity for Thursdays in Black to better understand how and why violence happens in student communities.”

“Responses to this survey will allow us to produce programmes that will work to create environments where all students are able to pursue their academic, working, and social lives free from violence,” she added.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee applauded O’Neill and NZUSA and says the survey “will go a long way in finding out more about students experiences, as opposed to just getting statistics and numbers.”

Thursdays in Black encourages all students who have been enrolled in tertiary education in New Zealand in the last five years to participate. The survey can be accessed online at thursdaysinblack.org.nz/survey.

1. From within the fallout zone
  2. Access Denied
  4. Ngāi Tauira
  6. Eight Things I Hate About Call of Duty
  7. Horoscope
  8. Protests against rape culture draw hundreds
  9. Capital C
  10. The Sellout — Paul Beatty

Flat out of options — what’s going on with Wellington’s rental madness?

: The words “renting crisis” have been thrown about a fair bit over the last few weeks. But do commentators and politicians get what this actually means for students and other renters struggling to find a place to live?