A survey that matters

Thursdays in Black and NZUSA have launched their 2016 students’ survey.

The purpose of the survey is to understand how sexual harassment and sexual violence manifest in student communities and to identify gaps in education for young people. It is the first of its kind in New Zealand.

The information collected will be used to inform future programmes seeking to reduce victimisation of students in all areas of their lives.

The survey has been designed with input from students and survivors, and also includes sections addressing the experiences of disabled and queer communities.

Thursdays in Black’s National Coordinator Izzy O’Neill says the survey is a “unique opportunity for Thursdays in Black to better understand how and why violence happens in student communities.”

“Responses to this survey will allow us to produce programmes that will work to create environments where all students are able to pursue their academic, working, and social lives free from violence,” she added.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee applauded O’Neill and NZUSA and says the survey “will go a long way in finding out more about students experiences, as opposed to just getting statistics and numbers.”

Thursdays in Black encourages all students who have been enrolled in tertiary education in New Zealand in the last five years to participate. The survey can be accessed online at thursdaysinblack.org.nz/survey.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  10. Philosoraptor
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con