A uni-relevant thing happened in parliament

Tertiary Education, Skills, and Employment Minister Steven Joyce has announced a range of possible amendments to legislation affecting tertiary education.

The Education (Tertiary Education and other Matters) Amendment Bill seeks to increase the flexibility of tertiary funding, further strengthen monitoring and compliance, and create equitable treatment of tertiary education providers.

Joyce said the changes would see increased flexibility in the funding framework, which would in turn improve accountability.

“We are now seeking feedback from stakeholders on whether the draft legislation is clear and easily understood, whether there are likely to be implementation issues, and the potential impact of these proposals on tertiary education organisation and students,” Joyce said.

NZUSA President Linsey Higgins supports “some” of the proposed changes, saying they would “bring clarity to a number of matters and includ[ing] changes that we have lobbied for.”

Higgins was cautious of possible hurdles, such as whether or not the changes would actually be implemented, and whether or not proposed changes to investment plans will actually be of benefit to students.

“If it’s for the Minister to choose the focus of tertiary institutions over the wishes of students, local communities, and other stakeholders then this is a step too far,” she said. 

1. From within the fallout zone
  2. Access Denied
  4. Ngāi Tauira
  6. Eight Things I Hate About Call of Duty
  7. Horoscope
  8. Protests against rape culture draw hundreds
  9. Capital C
  10. The Sellout — Paul Beatty

Flat out of options — what’s going on with Wellington’s rental madness?

: The words “renting crisis” have been thrown about a fair bit over the last few weeks. But do commentators and politicians get what this actually means for students and other renters struggling to find a place to live?