A uni-relevant thing happened in parliament

Tertiary Education, Skills, and Employment Minister Steven Joyce has announced a range of possible amendments to legislation affecting tertiary education.

The Education (Tertiary Education and other Matters) Amendment Bill seeks to increase the flexibility of tertiary funding, further strengthen monitoring and compliance, and create equitable treatment of tertiary education providers.

Joyce said the changes would see increased flexibility in the funding framework, which would in turn improve accountability.

“We are now seeking feedback from stakeholders on whether the draft legislation is clear and easily understood, whether there are likely to be implementation issues, and the potential impact of these proposals on tertiary education organisation and students,” Joyce said.

NZUSA President Linsey Higgins supports “some” of the proposed changes, saying they would “bring clarity to a number of matters and includ[ing] changes that we have lobbied for.”

Higgins was cautious of possible hurdles, such as whether or not the changes would actually be implemented, and whether or not proposed changes to investment plans will actually be of benefit to students.

“If it’s for the Minister to choose the focus of tertiary institutions over the wishes of students, local communities, and other stakeholders then this is a step too far,” she said. 

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop