Aunty Helen unsuccessful

Head of the United Nations Development Program Helen Clark has been unsuccessful in her bid to be the next Secretary General of the United Nations (UN).

The UN Security Council unanimously voted for former Portuguese prime minister Antonio Guterres.

Clark received eight ‘discourage’ votes, six ‘encourage’ votes, and one ‘no opinion’. Three vetoes were used against her by members of the Security Council’s five permanent members.

Guterres received 13 ‘encourage’ votes and two ‘no opinions’ from the 15 members of the UN Security Council, putting him ahead of all other candidates.

Clark released a statement shortly after saying “Antonio has the knowledge and experience to lead the United Nations well, and I wish him every success.”

She added that she “deeply appreciate[d] the full support I have had throughout my campaign.”

Guterres served as Prime Minister of Portugal from 1995-2002. Following that he became a member of the Club of Madrid, a non-profit organisation made up of former prime ministers and presidents who work to promote democracy and change in the international community.  

Clark’s previously active Snapchat ‘Helen4SG’ has not been updated since the announcement.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos