Aunty Helen unsuccessful

Head of the United Nations Development Program Helen Clark has been unsuccessful in her bid to be the next Secretary General of the United Nations (UN).

The UN Security Council unanimously voted for former Portuguese prime minister Antonio Guterres.

Clark received eight ‘discourage’ votes, six ‘encourage’ votes, and one ‘no opinion’. Three vetoes were used against her by members of the Security Council’s five permanent members.

Guterres received 13 ‘encourage’ votes and two ‘no opinions’ from the 15 members of the UN Security Council, putting him ahead of all other candidates.

Clark released a statement shortly after saying “Antonio has the knowledge and experience to lead the United Nations well, and I wish him every success.”

She added that she “deeply appreciate[d] the full support I have had throughout my campaign.”

Guterres served as Prime Minister of Portugal from 1995-2002. Following that he became a member of the Club of Madrid, a non-profit organisation made up of former prime ministers and presidents who work to promote democracy and change in the international community.  

Clark’s previously active Snapchat ‘Helen4SG’ has not been updated since the announcement.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop