October 2, 2016 | by  | in News Splash |

Chuck some more money on your loan

Victoria University Council have voted to raise domestic student course fees by two per cent in 2017.

The motion was passed during last week’s University Council meeting.

The university’s driving argument for the increase was based on the current funding model prescribed by the government not being sustainable.

VUWSA president Jonathan Gee and Academic Vice President Jacinta Gulasekharam, the only students who sit on the council, both voted against the increase.

VUWSA president Jonathan Gee urged council members to “start a genuine conversation with students about how their fees are set and where they’d like them to go.”

“It’s about valuing students as partners, and being open to changing what we have always done. Until that happens, I cannot support an increase in fees,” he said.

University Chancellor Sir Neville Jordan made a point of noting that it is already “more than $300 less expensive to study humanities and social sciences at undergraduate level at Victoria than it is at a number of other institutions.”

The council also voted to increase the Student Services Levy (SSL) by approximately 1.75 per cent.

The SSL is used to fund services for students not covered by tuition fees such as health services, financial support and advice, student advocacy, Salient, and student representation.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con