October 2, 2016 | by  | in Books |

Mimicry 1

★★★★

Editor: Holly Hunter

Mimicry is a new, nifty little Wellington-based literary and arts journal, packed with poetry, fiction, nonfiction, visual art (and even music!), all packaged sweetly in confectionery colours. On the first page, under the heading “NEPOTISM”, editor Holly Hunter declares the contributors to be her “incredibly talented and creatively driven friends.” But if the initial reception has been anything to go by, there will soon be a much larger pool of submissions to select from (and a second issue is already in the works.)

Personal highlights of the collection are Nina Powles’ brilliant essay on being half Malaysian-Chinese and discovering her heritage through food—from eating mooncakes and sesame pancakes in Shanghai to cooking fragrant meals in her small Kelburn kitchen. Celine Soyer’s piece on tracking down a man in a Fijian village from a friend’s old photograph poignantly observes the nature of friendship and memory, and is accompanied by her own drawings. Poetry ‘It Girl’ Hera Lindsay Bird shares her Post-It notes with us. Freya Daly-Sadgrove’s poems, two of which are included in the journal, are eclectic and lively, riffing on chaotic relationships.

It’s exciting to see the launch of a new journal in New Zealand, especially one that aims to be inclusive of all mediums and accessible to everyone. Mimicry 1 is available in two formats: a hardcopy, which can be found in good Wellington bookstores such as your local Vic Books, or an e-version from gumroad.com/mimicryjournal if paper isn’t your thing. What a treat.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t