October 2, 2016 | by  | in Books |

Mimicry 1

★★★★

Editor: Holly Hunter

Mimicry is a new, nifty little Wellington-based literary and arts journal, packed with poetry, fiction, nonfiction, visual art (and even music!), all packaged sweetly in confectionery colours. On the first page, under the heading “NEPOTISM”, editor Holly Hunter declares the contributors to be her “incredibly talented and creatively driven friends.” But if the initial reception has been anything to go by, there will soon be a much larger pool of submissions to select from (and a second issue is already in the works.)

Personal highlights of the collection are Nina Powles’ brilliant essay on being half Malaysian-Chinese and discovering her heritage through food—from eating mooncakes and sesame pancakes in Shanghai to cooking fragrant meals in her small Kelburn kitchen. Celine Soyer’s piece on tracking down a man in a Fijian village from a friend’s old photograph poignantly observes the nature of friendship and memory, and is accompanied by her own drawings. Poetry ‘It Girl’ Hera Lindsay Bird shares her Post-It notes with us. Freya Daly-Sadgrove’s poems, two of which are included in the journal, are eclectic and lively, riffing on chaotic relationships.

It’s exciting to see the launch of a new journal in New Zealand, especially one that aims to be inclusive of all mediums and accessible to everyone. Mimicry 1 is available in two formats: a hardcopy, which can be found in good Wellington bookstores such as your local Vic Books, or an e-version from gumroad.com/mimicryjournal if paper isn’t your thing. What a treat.

1. Intimacy and the Environment
  2. Surprise Surprise, Another US School Massacre
  3. Dear Daddy Dave
  4. The Weekly Planet
  5. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  6. Books to Films
  7. Books to Films
  8. Still Life with Chickens
  9. Silicon Valley Season 5
  10. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It