October 8, 2016 | by  | in One Ocean |

One Ocean

Shout out to the loyal readers of this little slab of Salient.

Shout out to everyone who has written for One Ocean—it’s been an honour sharing this space with you.

Shout out to those who ventured out of One Ocean and wrote in the “mainstream” part.

Shout out to the staff who after all these years still dip into Salient every now and then hoping it’s a good year.

Shout out to everyone who shared One Ocean on Facebook and Instagram, reaching the eyes and minds of those not at university, not in Wellington, not in New Zealand.

Shout out to the academics trying to find ways to decolonise research and academia for inspiring us to think and write critically and courageously.

Shout out to the activists who keep fighting when their causes aren’t #trending.

Shout out to our parents who have made all the sacrifices to ensure we have the opportunities that we often take for granted.

Shout out to my parents for being proud of me even when I’m sure a lot of what I do makes you uncomfortable.

Shout to my fellow Pasifika Students’ Council executive members for listening to me stress out when I don’t know what to write and for encouraging me when belief in myself wavers.

Shout out to my brother who in 2010 told me to start a blog, thus practicing the art of oversharing.

Shout out to J. Cole, Kings of Leon, Vaniah Toloa, and Rihanna for being the background music of most of what I write.

Shout out to everyone who has fed me this year—every meal, snack, and halved burger has meant the world to me.

Shout out to Stallone Vaiaoga-Ioasa for my cinematic highlight of 2016: Three Wise Cousins.

Shout out to all the students—from first year to PhD—for making it through this year. Whether it was a blink of an eye for you, or a slow and painful crawl to the finish line, you never gave up. Don’t give up.

And a massive shout out to Emma and Jayne for sending that first email in January inviting us to be a part of this magazine every week. It has been an absolute pleasure, thank you.

1