Productivity report gets radical

The Productivity Commission (PC) has released a draft report proposing major changes to the tertiary education sector.

Recommendations include putting interest back on student loans, as well as a move away from an institution-focused tertiary model in favour of a significantly more student-focused one.

Other recommendations include encouraging students to start saving for university during high school and removing the university entrance certificate.

Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce and Labour Education Spokesperson Chris Hipkins both shot down putting interest back on loans, and Joyce said “we’ve made it clear that we won’t be putting interest back on student loans. NZUSA have also come out in opposition of the reintroduction of interest on student loans.”

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee told Salient, “it’s great the PC is focussed on a student-centred approach and students being co-producers in their learning.”

VUWSA will be making further submissions to the PC.

The 402-page report emerged from the government’s request for an inquiry into new models of tertiary education and takes a “whole-of system” perspective, whereby trends in technology, tuition costs, skill demand, demography, and internationalisation may drive changes in tertiary business and delivery models.

The final report is due to go before government in February 2017.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con