Productivity report gets radical

The Productivity Commission (PC) has released a draft report proposing major changes to the tertiary education sector.

Recommendations include putting interest back on student loans, as well as a move away from an institution-focused tertiary model in favour of a significantly more student-focused one.

Other recommendations include encouraging students to start saving for university during high school and removing the university entrance certificate.

Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce and Labour Education Spokesperson Chris Hipkins both shot down putting interest back on loans, and Joyce said “we’ve made it clear that we won’t be putting interest back on student loans. NZUSA have also come out in opposition of the reintroduction of interest on student loans.”

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee told Salient, “it’s great the PC is focussed on a student-centred approach and students being co-producers in their learning.”

VUWSA will be making further submissions to the PC.

The 402-page report emerged from the government’s request for an inquiry into new models of tertiary education and takes a “whole-of system” perspective, whereby trends in technology, tuition costs, skill demand, demography, and internationalisation may drive changes in tertiary business and delivery models.

The final report is due to go before government in February 2017.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t