October 8, 2016 | by  | in Māori Matters |

The Last One

2016 has been a busy, challenging, and, ultimately, rewarding year for tauira Māori.

We successfully hosted Te Huinga Tauira; thanks to the hard work of the Huinga Komiti, headed by the unflappable tokotoru tapu, in conjunction with NT and all the tauira that carried out their vision. Manaakitanga and whakawhanaungatanga were in full force during those hectic days as we welcomed 300 tauira Māori from around the motu to participate in kapa haka, sports, and political activity.

Te Hōhaieti o te Reo Māori have established a popular weekly radio show on Salient FM that has acted as an effective tool for the promotion of te reo me ōnā tikanga. It provides a platform for tauira to get out of their comfort zones and try something new in the name of celebrating all facets of what it means to be Māori.

Ngā Taura Umanga put on an excellent night at this year’s Tatai Hono that gave tauira the chance to engage with successful Māori across a range of fields. From Iron Māori to photography, to slam poetry and more, it was an invaluable opportunity to network and foster mutually beneficial relationships with inspirational Māori.

Ngā Rangahautira created Ngā Kaiaronui (NK), a group that forms educated opinions on contemporary Māori issues by making written and oral submissions to select committees for the reform of legislations, particularly those affecting Māori. NK put forward an oral submission on the Ture Whenua Māori bill presented by three of its members earlier this year.

All in all, we’ve achieved a lot in 2016.

To our first years and newbies across the board, thank you for all that you bring to the table. The fresh energy, enthusiasm, and near indecipherable bants is necessary for the growth and continued success of our associations.

To those on the komiti whakahaere of all of our Māori associations, y’all are pumpers. The minimal sleep and maximum stress over the year is rough but ultimately leads to the improvement of university life for all tauira Māori, so, thank you.

To the whanau from Te Herenga Waka and Te Kawa a Māui, thank you for your continued support in all tauira endeavours. Thank you for feeding, guiding, and strengthening us as we navigate the challenges of university.

We farewell Te Ripowai Higgins and wish her all the best, we thank you sincerely and endlessly for all you’ve done over the years.

Ngāi Tauira AGM

Wednesday, October 12, 5.30pm at Te Herenga Waka Marae.