University jocks recognized at Blues Awards

Victoria University and VUWSA recently celebrated the Victoria University Blues Awards, recognising those whose sporting achievements have brought credit to the university.

The awards were presented by Vice-Chancellor Professor Grant Guilford and VUWSA President Jonathan Gee.

2016 Sportsperson of the Year was awarded to Kyle Pontifex, who competed for the Black Sticks and the Capital National Hockey League Men’s team in 2015 and 2016.

Recipients have joined what Guildford described as “an exclusive club of Victoria Blues Award winners,” including the “newest Olympians” swimmer Emma Robinson and blade-runner Liam Malone.

Gee says VUWSA is very proud to work in partnership with the university to recognise the university’s top athletes.

“The awards give us the opportunity to acknowledge students who have achieved outstanding sporting success through hard-work and dedication.”

“We’re really proud of the work recipients put in to manage sporting success on top of their studies and probably also a part time job,” he added.

VUWSA’s Clubs and Activities Officer Tori Sellwood says the awards have mutual benefits for student athletes and the university.

“Students obtain the highest possible recognition from the university for their achievements in sport while successfully pursuing their studies.”

Victoria, VUWSA, and Sport New Zealand chose winners based on how well they met strict Blues Awards criteria across each category.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t