Victoria Takes Learning Global

Victoria University has joined in partnership with edX, a large non-profit open online course provider, to make higher education opportunities more accessible to people wanting to learn.

Victoria will be launching three “massive open online courses” within the next three years.

The courses will consist of lectures no longer than seven and a half minutes and will be supplemented by readings and other resources.

The technology platform was founded by Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and was created “by universities, for universities.”

Victoria University Provost Professor Wendy Larner says “it will be a chance for us to collaborate with other edX universities, which are some of the best in the world, to deliver courses.”

“It will increase our reputation internationally in teaching and learning, and will also help is to expand our digital capability across the board,” she adds.

Victoria’s first open online course will be Antarctica Online, taught by Dr Rebecca Priestly and Dr Cliff Atkins from the Faculty of Science. Priestly says she is “delighted to be able to share Antarctica Online with the world through the edX partnership.”

1. From within the fallout zone
  2. Access Denied
  4. Ngāi Tauira
  6. Eight Things I Hate About Call of Duty
  7. Horoscope
  8. Protests against rape culture draw hundreds
  9. Capital C
  10. The Sellout — Paul Beatty

Flat out of options — what’s going on with Wellington’s rental madness?

: The words “renting crisis” have been thrown about a fair bit over the last few weeks. But do commentators and politicians get what this actually means for students and other renters struggling to find a place to live?