VUW make their case on Karori sale decisions

Victoria University of Wellington has released a statement “debunking” misconceptions about the sale of Karori campus.

The statement comes after a recent community meeting with Karori residents and education sector representatives landed the university in hot water with residents and the wider public.

The main misconception addressed was that the university will make $20 million profit on the sale, as they only paid $10 for the title transfer in 2014.

At the meeting Vice Chancellor Grant Guilford said this was not true, as the university had invested “around $21 million” in the Karori campus facilities and Faculty of Education programs since 2005.

VUW has received further criticism, especially from campus activist group Reclaim Vic, asking that the land be returned to the iwi of Wellington.

Guildford said that while VUW is in contact with Wellington iwi as they are interested in the future of the campus, there are “no outstanding Treaty settlements that could require Karori campus land to be returned to Wellington iwi,” and the land is “not subject to right of first refusal under existing Treaty settlement legislation.”

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos