VUW make their case on Karori sale decisions

Victoria University of Wellington has released a statement “debunking” misconceptions about the sale of Karori campus.

The statement comes after a recent community meeting with Karori residents and education sector representatives landed the university in hot water with residents and the wider public.

The main misconception addressed was that the university will make $20 million profit on the sale, as they only paid $10 for the title transfer in 2014.

At the meeting Vice Chancellor Grant Guilford said this was not true, as the university had invested “around $21 million” in the Karori campus facilities and Faculty of Education programs since 2005.

VUW has received further criticism, especially from campus activist group Reclaim Vic, asking that the land be returned to the iwi of Wellington.

Guildford said that while VUW is in contact with Wellington iwi as they are interested in the future of the campus, there are “no outstanding Treaty settlements that could require Karori campus land to be returned to Wellington iwi,” and the land is “not subject to right of first refusal under existing Treaty settlement legislation.”