February 26, 2017 | by  | in Mauri Ora |

Essentials for Good Health

Mauri Ora is the Māori term for wellbeing, encompassing a holistic view of health — mental, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual. Mauri Ora, at Kelburn Campus, is where Student Counselling, Student Health, and the physiotherapy clinic are located. Te Taunaki is the ‘sister’ service at Pipitea.

Student Health endeavours to provide competent, compassionate, confidential, and timely healthcare in an environment of responsibility and respect. We are here for you.

Student Counselling supports students to succeed academically, socially, and personally. Seek help as early as possible; we listen thoughtfully and share our responses with you. We observe confidentiality, the only exceptions being when we have concerns about your safety or the safety of others. Parents, tutors, friends, or flatmates are not entitled to know you attend counselling. We are sensitive to cultural values, religious beliefs, gender issues, and disabilities.

If you’ve just arrived, or have been here for years, your health is of utmost importance. Here are important parts of your health to safeguard:

• Living in close quarters can expose you to contagious diseases and viruses can spread rapidly. Rarer infections such as meningococcal are more prevalent where many people live together. Crowded flats and halls are a risk factor.
  • If you’re thinking about having sex, preventing infection or pregnancy may be top of the list, but it is equally important to ensure it is a happy, fulfilling, and consensual experience.
  • Alcohol, smoking, and drugs — it’s your choice but when/if you decide to partake, make sure you know the risks.
  • Being away from home, study and financial pressures, and relationship ups-and-downs, can all impact your happiness. Build lots of positive activities into your life — social as well as physical — and learn how to gauge your stress levels. If you’re not coping, or feeling sad more than is normal, ask for help.

Here are the top things we recommend you think about doing:

• Enrol with Mauri Ora. Appointments are free for most students and fees may apply for students who choose not to enrol. Most international students will have insurance that covers the majority of the cost. Appointments can be booked by phoning reception. If you have an urgent health concern, walk-in appointments are available on the day but are prioritised for those in greatest need.
  • Flu injections are available every year from mid-March and are free for all students. Vaccines to protect against meningococcal are not usually free but we recommend you think about getting one. Make an appointment to discuss this, or any other vaccination questions you may have.
  • Gardasil is a safe and highly effective vaccine that protects against genital and throat cancers, as well as genital warts. Gardasil is free up until your 27th birthday for people of all genders.  
  • If you’re sexually active, use condoms. If you don’t, get regular checks for sexually transmitted diseases. Swabs for infection can be done without a doctor examining you and you can usually take the swabs yourself. Two weeks after possible exposure is the optimum time to get tested. There are free, confidential HIV testing clinics on campus too.
  • Our staff can advise on contraceptive options — most are free, or carry a small prescription charge. Emergency contraception can be accessed via a nurse appointment.
  • The counselling service runs a diverse range of free well-being groups to help you manage issues such as anxiety, exam stress, poor sleep, and depression. For an individual counselling appointment, call and talk to reception.

Contact:

Mauri Ora, Level One, Student Union Building, Kelburn Campus

04 463 5310 or 04 463 5308

Te Taunaki, Mezzanine Floor, Rutherford House, Pipitea Campus

04 463 7474

Email counselling-service@vuw.ac.nz or student-health@vuw.ac.nz.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t