February 26, 2017 | by  | in News |

Ongoing safety issues on notorious walkway

Police are seeking a caucasian male who assaulted a woman on the Boyd Wilson Field pathway on January 20. The assailant was picked up by security cameras wearing a balaclava and grey Adidas hoodie.

The alleyway has a violent history, drawing media attention in 2014 after a spate of attacks — earning the nickname ‘Rape Alley’.

The Director of Student and Campus Living, Rainsforth Dix, stated that the university was working with the Police and Wellington City Council (WCC) to identify the offender and increase safety for students using the path.

Future plans include a new pathway from 320 The Terrace, with safety as a key design focus.

On February 17, WCC announced a safety initiative targeting the walkway.

The first in a number of steps was the installation of additional cameras to be monitored by Wellington Police. Other steps will include regular maintenance of vegetation and additional lighting.

Wellington City Mayor Justin Lester said that the WCC was also looking to improve other at-risk walkways, such as Leeds Street and Egmont Street.

His strategy included transforming alleyways to encourage more thoroughfare: “We’re adding lighting, we’re adding art, we’re adding life, to create an environment where more people want to be.”

On February 20, Lester allocated funding from a social grants pool to Women’s Refuge. The WCC have also previously developed the Stick With the Pack app, aiming to keep students together in town.  

Buses after midnight are available from Courtenay Place on weekends. For students in halls, a safety van is available Wednesday to Saturday, trimesters one and two, to and from town.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties