February 26, 2017 | by  | in News Splash |

Rankine Brown Update

The lifts in Victoria University’s Kelburn Library will be nonfunctional for the remainder of 2017, following the November 14 earthquake.

The library reopened on February 20 for the first time since the quake. The closure created significant disruption to students who were unable to access the library collection throughout trimester three.

Despite the building being base-isolated in 2011 to reduce earthquake damage, the lifts were not, and remained rigid when the earthquake occurred. This resulted in damage.

The library will be running a resource retrieval service to assist staff and students with accessibility issues. However, this service will will not run after 8pm on weeknights, or after 3pm on weekends.

VUWSA President Rory Lenihan-Ikin said of the service, “I’d hate to think how a student would feel if they had an assignment due the next day and they weren’t able to get a book that is critical to finishing that assignment.”

“The library is arguably the most core facility of the university academically, and not having lifts is obviously pretty fundamental.”

The collection on level zero remains inaccessible, with a similar retrieval service available for patrons.

Staff who are unable to access their offices are being relocated to a section of the level one computers and the previously bookable study rooms in the Hub. To accommodate these changes, student computers will be relocated to the Hub and level two — there will be no reduction in the number of computers available for students.

The library opening hours were extended at the end of last year and all campus libraries are open until midnight on weekdays and until 10pm on weekends

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t