February 26, 2017 | by  | in The Queer Agenda |

The Queer Agenda

Tēnā koutou katoa!

Welcome to Te Whare Wānanga o te Ūpoko o te Ika a Māui. We’re UniQ, your resident suppliers of queer* support, advocacy, and social services here at Victoria. We work for you to provide regular events, spaces, and services so that you can feel safe and supported during your time at university.

During trimester we run weekly, fortnightly, and monthly events:

• Our weekly lunch is UniQ’s bread and butter, where we come together for board games or a structured discussion. Friday, March 17, 1-3pm in SU218.
  • Our fortnightly event, Gender Club, is dedicated to gender identities which fall under the queer umbrella. Tuesday, March 21, 12-2pm in SU218.
  • Every month we provide snacks and screen a queer film. One rule: happy endings only! Our first one will be on Friday, March 10, 6pm in CO119.

We’re hard at work setting up great events for Orientation 2017 — check our column next week or join us at VUWSA’s welcome picnic on March 3 for the details. We take great pride in our inclusivity and we’d love to see you!

We provide support for our queer whānau. If you have an issue in your hall, with a lecturer, administrator, classmate, tutor, or anyone else you feel has treated you unfairly, UniQ can help with advocacy services. We’re here to help — even if it’s just to listen.

Find us on Facebook (facebook.com/uniq.victoria.9) and get on our mailing list (sign up at Clubs Week) to keep up to date on everything we have going on.

Feel free to flick us a message on Facebook or email us at uniqvictoria@gmail.com if you have any questions. Here’s to a good year!

* UniQ uses the term ‘queer’ as an umbrella term to describe many variations of sexual attraction and sex / gender identity, including (but not limited to) intersex, transgender, genderqueer, nonbinary, asexual, pansexual, fa’afafine, takatāpui, lesbian, bisexual, and gay.