February 26, 2017 | by  | in The Queer Agenda |

The Queer Agenda

Tēnā koutou katoa!

Welcome to Te Whare Wānanga o te Ūpoko o te Ika a Māui. We’re UniQ, your resident suppliers of queer* support, advocacy, and social services here at Victoria. We work for you to provide regular events, spaces, and services so that you can feel safe and supported during your time at university.

During trimester we run weekly, fortnightly, and monthly events:

• Our weekly lunch is UniQ’s bread and butter, where we come together for board games or a structured discussion. Friday, March 17, 1-3pm in SU218.
  • Our fortnightly event, Gender Club, is dedicated to gender identities which fall under the queer umbrella. Tuesday, March 21, 12-2pm in SU218.
  • Every month we provide snacks and screen a queer film. One rule: happy endings only! Our first one will be on Friday, March 10, 6pm in CO119.

We’re hard at work setting up great events for Orientation 2017 — check our column next week or join us at VUWSA’s welcome picnic on March 3 for the details. We take great pride in our inclusivity and we’d love to see you!

We provide support for our queer whānau. If you have an issue in your hall, with a lecturer, administrator, classmate, tutor, or anyone else you feel has treated you unfairly, UniQ can help with advocacy services. We’re here to help — even if it’s just to listen.

Find us on Facebook (facebook.com/uniq.victoria.9) and get on our mailing list (sign up at Clubs Week) to keep up to date on everything we have going on.

Feel free to flick us a message on Facebook or email us at uniqvictoria@gmail.com if you have any questions. Here’s to a good year!

* UniQ uses the term ‘queer’ as an umbrella term to describe many variations of sexual attraction and sex / gender identity, including (but not limited to) intersex, transgender, genderqueer, nonbinary, asexual, pansexual, fa’afafine, takatāpui, lesbian, bisexual, and gay.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this