February 26, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

Kia ora koutou and welcome to a new year here at Victoria, and Wellington!

I’m Nathaniel and my job is to help you feel connected to the student community. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be clutching onto a V or coffee for dear life as I attend every event we’re running (say hi!). I’ve been at Victoria for *murmur murmur* years now so I’m pretty much acclimatised to life in our favourite little capital.

My top tips:

1. Haere Mai on Dixon Street has a wall-to-wall shelf of Mi Goreng, so don’t buy boring supermarket two minute noodles. Welcome to student life, get to know your noodle brands.
  2. If you want to branch out from butter chicken and sushi, Wellington is a treasure trove of multicultural eateries and years later I’m still discovering them. Willis Street Food Market is a basic but good start for your culinary journey around the city.
  3. Victoria is a big university. If you’re unsure where a class is, give yourself an extra 20 minutes. There’s no shame in consulting the campus map.
  4. Get involved. There are 130+ clubs at Victoria. If nothing fits you — get some friends together and create a new club!
  5. There’s always something happening, from gigs in town to street festivals. Take a break from the books and have fun!
  6. Don’t spend all your weekly living costs on alcohol.
  7. The Brooklyn Wind Turbine has the best view of Wellington. Mt Victor is probably second.
  8. Be yourself. Moving from a provincial all-boys school to Victoria allowed me the confidence to come out in an accepting environment. There are many resources at Victoria to help you out — make the most of them!

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel