February 26, 2017 | by  | in Books |

Welcome to Night Vale — Joseph Fink & Jeffrey Cranor

In the arid American Southwest lies a small town, easy to miss if you didn’t know it was there — Night Vale. It is a quaint place that provides everything you might expect from small town life. Its citizens are friendly, the library boasts a great reading programme, the pawn shop always has its doors open, and they have recently added a dog park. It’s almost, perhaps, too perfect to stomach.

Against this backdrop, Fink and Cranor tell their intermingling stories: the heart-warming tale of a mother with a turbulent teenager who wants to meet his father for the first time, and the routine of a shopkeeper who wishes her life would amount to something for once but struggles to move forward from the tender age of nineteen. Welcome to Night Vale, in short, is an ordinary novel about ordinary lives, at every moment evoking the commonplace world in which we live, day after day after day. After day.

When a new man enters town, you won’t think twice and as the fates of the two women are brought together by his arrival, nothing could be more normal. After all, he is only an ordinary man, they two of the most average women you shall ever read about, and the town the simplest, most unpretentious, location any author could imagine as the setting for their novel. You’ll fly through the unassuming pages, covered with words that you’ve read a thousand times before.

In fact, you might as well find another novel to read and not subject yourself to the content that fills the space between these derivative covers. There’s nothing exciting to see here, after all. There are endless other interesting novels out there, as well written as this one might be.

However if you do insist on reading Welcome to Night Vale, or even searching the desert to find this ordinary little town, you’ll be glad to know that Night Vale’s alien abduction rates are low this year, and that the government is definitely not watching you.

We promise.

1. Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer
  2. For Teresia
  3. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Season One
  4. Hit and Run
  5. what an idiot
  6. Shakti Refuge Refused Funding
  7. VIC UFO
  10. GIG GUIDE
Salient (4)

Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer

: - SPONSORED - As the Wellington’s annual premature cold kicks in, the hashtag tbt increases sevenfold and we all begin to get moody at the thought of the imminent mould sure to resurface in the coming months. I was fortunate enough to grab at least a week of sunshine and happin