March 13, 2017 | by  | in Podcasts |

Anna Faris is Unqualified

Anna Faris — Hollywood actress of Scary Movie and The House Bunny fame — is “unqualified” to give relationship advice, but that doesn’t stop her from doing so in this warm and funny podcast. Named the best podcast of 2016 by Entertainment Weekly, the show features Anna and her producer Sim interviewing a new celebrity guest each week, and ends with calling a listener in need of advice.

This is a great podcast because it feels real; the jokes, insults, and games make it seem like you’re listening in on the kind of conversation you’d have with your own friends. The show is recorded in Anna’s home, with husband Chris Pratt and four-year-old son Jack frequently interrupting. The guests — including Chris Evans and Jenny Slate, Jeremy Renner, and Seth Rogen — are often friends or colleagues of Anna, so the interviews are relaxed yarns peppered with not-so-rapid fire questions and improv games. The chemistry between old friends Anna and producer Sim is the foundation for these interviews. Their badinage is hilarious, with Anna lightly mocking an exasperated Sim trying to keep the show running to schedule.

The podcast typically runs for an hour and a half, with the last third devoted to solving the problems of a listener. Most callers have relationship questions, but family, friends, and career issues are also featured. Anna, Sim, and the guests all chip in — sometimes talking over the top of each other — to try to help the listener. Again, this feels so familiar, and not unlike those late night deep-and-meaningfuls you have with your own friends. The advice is sincere and thoughtful, and almost always gentle, with the notable exception of The Big Bang Theory’s Johnny Galecki blasting a caller for her infidelity (who knew Leonard had such strong opinions?). Tune in to Anna Faris is Unqualified for a superb package of comedy and friendship that will brighten up your day.

Start with: Episode 22, Jason Mantzoukas

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos