March 13, 2017 | by  | in Podcasts |

Anna Faris is Unqualified

Anna Faris — Hollywood actress of Scary Movie and The House Bunny fame — is “unqualified” to give relationship advice, but that doesn’t stop her from doing so in this warm and funny podcast. Named the best podcast of 2016 by Entertainment Weekly, the show features Anna and her producer Sim interviewing a new celebrity guest each week, and ends with calling a listener in need of advice.

This is a great podcast because it feels real; the jokes, insults, and games make it seem like you’re listening in on the kind of conversation you’d have with your own friends. The show is recorded in Anna’s home, with husband Chris Pratt and four-year-old son Jack frequently interrupting. The guests — including Chris Evans and Jenny Slate, Jeremy Renner, and Seth Rogen — are often friends or colleagues of Anna, so the interviews are relaxed yarns peppered with not-so-rapid fire questions and improv games. The chemistry between old friends Anna and producer Sim is the foundation for these interviews. Their badinage is hilarious, with Anna lightly mocking an exasperated Sim trying to keep the show running to schedule.

The podcast typically runs for an hour and a half, with the last third devoted to solving the problems of a listener. Most callers have relationship questions, but family, friends, and career issues are also featured. Anna, Sim, and the guests all chip in — sometimes talking over the top of each other — to try to help the listener. Again, this feels so familiar, and not unlike those late night deep-and-meaningfuls you have with your own friends. The advice is sincere and thoughtful, and almost always gentle, with the notable exception of The Big Bang Theory’s Johnny Galecki blasting a caller for her infidelity (who knew Leonard had such strong opinions?). Tune in to Anna Faris is Unqualified for a superb package of comedy and friendship that will brighten up your day.

Start with: Episode 22, Jason Mantzoukas

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t