Apple Tax Cuts

Apple Inc. is facing allegations that it has not paid revenue tax in New Zealand for a decade.

Apple have sold $4.2 billion dollars’ worth of products in New Zealand since 2007, but a New Zealand Herald investigation has uncovered an absence of tax paid to IRD over this period.

As Apple NZ is a subsidiary of Apple Inc., and is registered in Australia, $37 million in tax on New Zealand sales over the last decade have been paid overseas.

Winston Peters has berated the government’s special relationship with Apple products for their lack of contribution to the economy, alleging “the way some Ministers talk up Apple you’d think they were on commission.”

The Labour Party have also been critical of the government’s policing of how multinational corporations are taxed, referring to Apple’s situation as only the “tip of the iceberg.”

The government released three proposals for “evolving” NZ’s tax system earlier this March, with the intent of dissuading multinationals’ “booking of profits offshore” to avoid taxation in New Zealand.

“We welcome multinationals’ participation in our economy,” said Minister for Revenue Judith Collins, “but we also expect them to pay tax based on their actual levels of economic activity in New Zealand.”

Salient approached Siri for comment, who referred to a selection of irrelevant web articles in a potential decoy strategy.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.