March 3, 2017 | by  | in Can Do |

CanDo at Vic

CanDo at Vic is the representative group for students with disabilities. We’ve started the year with our new executive group and fortnightly Salient column! We’re hoping to have a mix of informative and personal pieces throughout the year.

Moving from work or school to university can be a tough transition. Even moving from one university to another has its challenges. Here are some tips for disabled students who are new to university:

Get in touch with Disability Services. Even if you don’t feel like you need any accommodations, being registered with them will help down the road if you encounter any hiccups. They can have many students per advisor, so get in early. University-style teaching is very different to what you may have encountered before, and Disability Services is the best place to help you figure out solutions to new problems.

Introduce yourself to your lecturers and tutors, by email or in person. I’ve found it very helpful to let my lecturers know of any accommodations that I might need. Sometimes I didn’t end up needing them, which was great! But when I did, they were already aware of it. You don’t have to disclose your exact disability to them if you’re not comfortable doing so.

Be kind to yourself. The expectations placed on new students are huge, to take part in everything, get good grades, or make millions of friends in the halls of residence. The oft repeated phrase “living in a hall will be one of the best times of your life” isn’t true for everyone, for reasons as simple as bad luck or as complex as having multiple disabilities to manage.

Find your niche, find where you fit in, but don’t be afraid to challenge yourself too.

Feel free to email us at can.do.at.vic@gmail.com or visit us on Tuesday and Wednesday of Clubs Week.