March 4, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editors’ Letter

Whether you were an organiser, volunteer, participant, or avoider, O-Week is no mean feat so well done for surviving.

After having a few weeks to prepare our orientation issue, having only days to prepare this issue has been enlightening, to say the least.

It was harder than we anticipated and we had to work through the night, soothed by the comforting thump of the Toga Party raging right next to our office. Tim suffered from mild insomnia and we are still learning to step away from our computers, even just for a moment, to nurture our well-being.

But this issue made it to the printers, to the stands, and presumably to your hands. If it is the first Salient of 2017 that you read, welcome, there have been a few changes. However the ethos remains the same — it is still your organ of student opinion.

We want to hear about your experiences of renting as this city appears to be in the grip of a crisis — rents are rising faster than wages (and the minimal student livings costs and allowance) and the quality remains sub-standard. It’s the beginning of the academic year and finding somewhere to live should not be at the forefront of students’ concerns.

Advocacy work is being performed on these issues but we want to hear your stories, so get in touch — editor@salient.org.nz.

Renting stories aside, your thoughts and writing make this little magazine so send them through. We’ll also have a stall at Clubs Week on March 7 and 8, so come and say hello!

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t