March 4, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editors’ Letter

Whether you were an organiser, volunteer, participant, or avoider, O-Week is no mean feat so well done for surviving.

After having a few weeks to prepare our orientation issue, having only days to prepare this issue has been enlightening, to say the least.

It was harder than we anticipated and we had to work through the night, soothed by the comforting thump of the Toga Party raging right next to our office. Tim suffered from mild insomnia and we are still learning to step away from our computers, even just for a moment, to nurture our well-being.

But this issue made it to the printers, to the stands, and presumably to your hands. If it is the first Salient of 2017 that you read, welcome, there have been a few changes. However the ethos remains the same — it is still your organ of student opinion.

We want to hear about your experiences of renting as this city appears to be in the grip of a crisis — rents are rising faster than wages (and the minimal student livings costs and allowance) and the quality remains sub-standard. It’s the beginning of the academic year and finding somewhere to live should not be at the forefront of students’ concerns.

Advocacy work is being performed on these issues but we want to hear your stories, so get in touch — editor@salient.org.nz.

Renting stories aside, your thoughts and writing make this little magazine so send them through. We’ll also have a stall at Clubs Week on March 7 and 8, so come and say hello!

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con