March 27, 2017 | by  | in Food |

FROM THE ARCHIVE — April 10, 1989

HOME x ON THE RANGE

Fish can be quite expensive, and it is certainly not advisable to try catching it in our incredibly polluted harbour, but really, a little goes a long way and it is so good for you. They have lots of protein, minerals and vitamins, and are low in fat and kilojoules. Then there are the fabulous Omega-3 fatty acids which reduce the risk of heart disease.

KNOW YOUR FRESH FISH

Whole fish should have very black pupils, (not opaque) bright red gills, and should smell nice, not fishy! Fish fillets should be firm and slightly shiny and also smell nice. Shellfish should be firmly closed (except green mussels).

FRIED FISH

You can fry floured fillets in butter and serve with lashings of lemon juice or make a light butter batter of eggs and flour, dip floured fillets in it, and fry in butter

– or –

Flour the fillets, dip in beaten egg then in a mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese before frying in butter. It should only take about five minutes to cook. Make sure your pan is quite hot.

– or –

Beer batter: Beat two to three egg whites until firm. In another bowl beat the yolks with about ½ cup beer (whichever you like) and enough flour to make a stiff batter. Gently fold in whites. This is a lovely light batter, only suitable for deep frying.

FISH SATAYS

For four people. Cut 500g of white fish fillets into large chunks and thread on skewers with onion, capsicum, pineapple, celery, or whatever you like. Marinate in the sauce for up to 24 hours.

The Sauce:

Blend ¼ cup roasted salted peanuts and a chopped onion until finely chopped, then add: ¼ cup peanut butter; one clove garlic, crushed; two Tablespoons chutney; two Tablespoons oil; two Tablespoons lemon juice; two teaspoons soy sauce; one fresh red chilli; and blend until smooth.

While you grill or bbq the kebabs, heat the sauce through and pour over to serve.

PIPIS WITH ORANGE HERB BUTTER

Heat ¼ cup water in a large pan, add one kilo of washed pipis and cover. Cook until they open, stir occasionally.

Orange Herb Butter:

Bring ⅔ cup orange juice to the boil in a medium saucepan, add 185g chopped butter and stir until melted. Add two Tablespoons of chopped parsley and two teaspoons each of fresh oregano and dill, chopped.

Place pipis on serving plates and cover with the sauce. I expect other herbs could be substituted, like chives or basil.