March 13, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

Meet your VUWSA Executive

So you’ve made it through O-Week and hopefully caught up on a week’s worth of sleep. But now you may be wondering, what was that VUWSA thing everyone kept talking about?

What is that beautiful green logo I keep seeing round the place? And who is the moustachioed man who keeps talking to me about getting involved on campus?

While Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association does put on O-Week and gives you free stationery and noodles to kick-start your university year, it also has a dedicated team who have some big plans to make this year a great year for students. Here’s a chance to get acquainted with your student executive:

Rory Lenihan-Ikin — VUWSA President

Rory Lenihan-Ikin

I’ve been with VUWSA for the past three years, but this year I get the privilege of being your student president. VUWSA exists solely to represent the student voice at the university, in politics, and in the local community. Our mission is to get the best deal for students, in everything we do. But we can’t do that without knowing what you, as students, need to make your years at university some of the best years of your life. We want to hear from you, work with you, and make sure VUWSA is doing all it can to serve you during your time here at Victoria.

Isabella Lenihan-Ikin — Academic Vice-President

Isabella Lenihan-Ikin

My role is to ensure that there is student representation and voice at all levels of the university. This year, I want to broaden the scope of the education portfolio and establish free, short, and engaging courses for students, like beginner te reo Māori courses.

Anya Maule — Welfare Vice-President

Anya Maule

My main role is to make sure students have access to welfare services like the community pantry, the on-campus fruit and vegetable market, free flu shots, and Stress Free Study Week — which involves cute animals and food and drinks to ease your study jitters. This year I’m also looking forward to working with the Equity Officer on creating a VUWSA representative group handbook.

Nathaniel Manning — Engagement Vice-President

Nathaniel Manning

This year one of my main roles will be getting students involved in September’s general election. I’ll be leading our campaign, bringing politicians on campus, collecting enrolments, and, obviously, encouraging everyone to get out and vote.

Tom Rackley — Acting Treasurer-Secretary

Tom Rackley

In essence, I’m the money man. I handle the internal committees and act as a budget liaison for the executive. I am super excited for the year ahead; I can’t wait to see what we achieve.

Marlon Drake — Clubs and Activities Officer

Marlon Drake

I look after clubs here at the university. It’s so important to have a campus filled with opportunities for students to participate, meet new people, and have fun. This year I’m keen to make it easier to get involved with clubs, and with your community.

Raven Maeder — Campaigns Officer

Raven Maeder

I’m passionate about standing up for people and our environment, and I want to contribute to the movement for a fairer, more sustainable world. This year my main goal is to help VUWSA run a strong general election campaign, contribute to high student voting numbers, and put student issues on the political agenda.

Bethany Paterson — Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer

Bethany+Patterson

Do you want to be happy, healthy, and able to decipher what is recycling and what is general trash? That’s where I come in. My role is to work with our Welfare Vice-President to make sure students live well, in a less stressful and less wasteful environment.

Tamatha Paul — Equity Officer

Tamatha Paul

I want to do as much as I can to strengthen and maintain VUWSA’s relationships with the other representative groups on campus including UniQ (the queer representative group), Ngāi Tauira (our Māori representative group), and V-ISA (our international students’ group). I want to bring all the different student bodies on campus together to contribute to an inclusive, engaging, and holistic student experience for everyone.

Lauren Daroux Greig — Education Officer

Lauren Daroux Greig (EO)

As your Education Officer, I will act as a voice for students in all things related to academia. My job is to work with our Academic Vice-President to make sure your courses are giving you the right tools for graduating with a degree you can use. I’ll be helping out with writing submissions to the VUW Academic Board and Academic Committee highlighting student issues. I’ll also be helping with class representative training.

1