March 3, 2017 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Ngāi Tauira

Tēnā tātou!

So we have all come out the other side of O-Week (mostly) unscathed. Hopefully by now the empty Scrumpy bottles and 3-day-old KC’s takeaway containers on your floor are accompanied by textbooks and your first lot of readings for the year. It’s the second column of the year, and I am already struggling to find motivation to get back into the flow of university life. In the possible situation that some of you are in the same waka, I have been thinking about what we can all do together, to become better tauira.

As enticing as it is to rewatch the all roopu at Matatini for the sixth time this week, and as obvious as it seems, you should actually do your readings. If you are one of our law tauira, chances are you are already onto this, but for most of us, staying motivated is a difficult task. Set up the mood with a nice desk lamp, some mellow music, and settle in for a wild night of researching and reading. Stay prepared with highlighters, tea, and some kai for a break.

Speaking of kai, better mahi is done when we are healthy and well-fed. When you’re at uni all day, try not to fall into a pattern of chicken salt chips from Revive every day. Make kai at home, and bring it with you — bring lunch boxes back into fashion. Failing that, the cheapest meals on campus can be found at your wharekai, across the road from Vic Books. Lunch is served Monday to Friday for just $5, and if you are nice to the ringawera and help out with some dishes, you may even get it for free. If that’s not your thing, the Krishna plates in the courtyard by KK301 are a beautiful feast, and again only $5 every day.

Good mahi, and kai. It seems simple, but these are just a few useful whakaaro to help you all get through week 1 of the trimester. Best of luck with this week whānau!

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel