March 20, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

Presidential Address

You will have heard it a few times in your first couple of weeks of class: “Now who wants to be the Class Rep?”

Hopefully this was preceded by a case made for the critical importance that Class Reps play in determining the quality of your education and experience. If not, here’s an attempt to explain it.

There are well over 1000 classes, and in nearly every one there is a student that represents the rest, and provides a link between the class and the lecturer.

As you know it’s often the small things that can be the most disruptive in classes: like the potentially excellent lecturer who is speaking too fast so you can’t keep up with the content, or the broken links on Blackboard.  

This is where the Class Rep comes in. You can flick them a message and they’ll be able to pass on what you tell them when they meet regularly with the lecturer. Chances are you’ll be solving a problem for everyone else in the class too.

If there are more substantial concerns you have about something going on, your Class Rep can be a conduit to our people up the chain, such as the Academic Vice-President or Student Advocate, who can make sure the issues get addressed.

Being a Class Rep also gives you the first taste of a representative role within VUWSA. It’s a great first step to becoming a Faculty Delegate, Club President, or Executive member.

So I hope you’re convinced! It might seem like a small role within the university, but it’s a really valuable one. If you’ve just become one, congrats! Over the next couple of weeks the VUWSA Education Team are running Class Rep training, so make sure you pop into one of those so you know what it’s all about.

1