March 3, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

Presidential Address

Kia ora!

It’s great to have you back, and if you’re new on campus, welcome! I’m humbled and honoured to have been elected as your President and am proud to be representing you this year. VUWSA exists to get the best deal for students and to ensure that your time at university is as good as it can be.

Our focus in 2017 is based solely on how we can better engage with you: whatever you study, whatever year you are in, and whatever campus you are on.

We want you to feel that VUWSA is your association — that it effectively represents your interests and welcomes you in.

A big part of this is responding to the issues that matter. Housing and transport are incredibly tough for students at the moment, and we’ve been working hard over the summer on solutions to the rental crisis in Wellington and campaigning for student public transport fares.

Feeling safe on campus and in our communities is crucial. We’ve been working with the university and the Wellington City Council to improve the Boyd Wilson pathway. You will also see me wearing black on Thursdays as a statement of support for survivors of sexual violence.

It may seem like these issues have been talked about over and over, without achieving any wins — sometimes I feel the same way. But I can assure you that progress is happening. We have more councillors and stakeholders than ever supporting student fares and we are going to push hard in 2017 to get it over the line.

To be effective on these things we need you alongside us and with the general election this year having a collective student voice will be essential in pushing for change.

Don’t forget to sign up for VUWSA and grab your wall planner and diary in the Hub courtyard any day this week!

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t