March 13, 2017 | by  | in Music |

Skymning — Nestled Between Vast Depressions

Ex-Wellington resident Skymning has left for London and dropped his latest EP Nestled Between Vast Depressions as something of a parting gift. Skymning has been making music in Wellington for around five years now, with steady Bandcamp releases since his 2012 album 1993. A stalwart of the local scene, he’s collaborated with the likes of Race Banyon (aka Lontalius), Womb, and Aucklander Totems. Skyming’s music is quite unlike anything else around, a unique blend of acoustic/ambient instrumentation, scavenged percussion, and field recordings.

The first and second tracks, “Hell is other people” and “I’m Up”, feel like relatively straightforward dance works, but their upbeat drum rhythms are beautifully countered by Skymning’s typically melancholic melody writing, and distorted guitar lines. “Collapse” starts the slowest, with a simple piano composition that cleverly morphs into a delayed, chopped dance track. “Fell Into Place” has a distinct shuffle to it, borrowing elements of Jungle but remaining subdued. The final track “Alone With My Thoughts” is probably the most unexpected. The title comes from a painting by Daniel Johnson (of Kurt Cobain t-shirt fame) and features Skymning performing a rare vocal part. It’s one of the more ‘songy’ songs he’s released, the autotuned hook beautifully fragile, the piano typically sad. It’s not particularly dancey but still carries the kind of driving rhythm that Skymning uses to hold down his ambient experimentation.

Nestled Between Vast Depressions is a neat EP showcasing a few different aspects of the kind of sonic exploration we’ve come to expect from Skymning. It’s a good addition to an interesting discography and a cool place to start for anyone yet to hear his music. Hopefully he keeps busy in London.

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel