March 13, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

V-ISA

Haere Mai! Huanying! Bienvenue! Selamat datang! Welcome to Wellington!

If you’ve just touched down in the capital for the first time, a lot of things probably bewilder you right now. But don’t worry, because we’re here to make it all slightly less baffling.

Here’s a brief  crash-course in Wellington survival:

1. The wind here is insane. There is a reason people call it “Windy Welly”. Wellington sits at the bottom of the North Island beside the Cook Strait and acts as a wind tunnel. Umbrellas are nearly useless here, so you’re better off with a rain coat. Also, remember to peg down your washing, unless you’d like your neighbour’s garden to be decorated with laundry.
  2. Eating out here (or anywhere in NZ really) can be expensive, so cooking your own is a good way to save. With all the cheap and fresh produce at the weekly markets around the city it’s not hard to find inspiration. Check out the Harbourside Market at the waterfront on Sundays, Newtown market (beside the hospital) on Saturdays, and the mini-market outside the Hub at the Kelburn campus on Wednesdays.
  3. To treat yourself, try Capital Market or Little Penang for Asian food, or choose from the cabinet of any of the little cafes around the city for under-$10 eats. Look out for half-price sushi deals after 4pm.
  4. For something to do, try one of the many tracks around the city and waterfront. Some popular ones are Mt Kau Kau and Mt Victoria, and you are rewarded for your struggles with views at the top. Festivals are a big part of entertainment in Wellington so keep an eye out for those too.

Now you’re all set. Good luck! Have fun!

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel