March 13, 2017 | by  | in Books |

Very Good Lives — J. K. Rowling

Do you remember a few weeks ago, when J. K. Rowling had a good laugh at the thought of Piers Morgan being told to fuck off on live television? She tweeted as such with gleeful irreverence, at the unique pleasure the universe had granted her without any warning at all.

This event is the excuse I am using for writing a review on Very Good Lives — a small, thin book containing the illustrated transcript of Rowling’s 2008 Harvard University commencement address. You might notice that it is now 2017, i.e. nine years too late. I am claiming that it is a relevant choice because of said Twitter chaos lifting Rowling into the public eye, like an already-soaring cloud being blown slightly higher in the sky than before by a sudden breeze.

It is also a relevant book for graduates about to run out into the world and desperately in need of some well-sprinkled magic to make that run a bit smoother and less trip-uppy.

This isn’t the end of the school year for us, unfortunately. But it’s always a good idea to wonder privately to yourself, or loudly at your lecturing professors, what’s this all for? What’s the point?

Well, the woman who created a world that we’ve collectively agreed is much better than our own, in so many fantastic ways (haha), has wisdom to offer. I won’t tell you what. That’s why I write these damn things, so you get motivated to do the hard work yourself. But if you’ve ever failed miserably at something you really cared about, or at life, then you’ve honestly got a truly sympathetic ear in Rowling. The most graceful, genius lady-writer ever whose words we’re lucky enough to have at hand when everything falls apart.

1. Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer
  2. For Teresia
  3. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Season One
  4. Hit and Run
  5. what an idiot
  6. Shakti Refuge Refused Funding
  7. VIC UFO
  10. GIG GUIDE
Salient (4)

Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer

: - SPONSORED - As the Wellington’s annual premature cold kicks in, the hashtag tbt increases sevenfold and we all begin to get moody at the thought of the imminent mould sure to resurface in the coming months. I was fortunate enough to grab at least a week of sunshine and happin