Vic gets healthy

VUW has announced a new Faculty of Health and intends to commence courses in Trimester One of 2018.

The faculty will not offer medicine, but plans to offer health policy, health promotion, and health service delivery for undergraduate study.

Although courses are yet to be approved, staff have already been appointed to the school.

Gregor Coster, who was previously a Professor of General Practice, and Dean of Graduate Studies at the University of Auckland, has been named Dean of the new faculty. His appointment comes three years after he was appointed as head of VUW’s Health Steering Committee.  

Coster told Salient the new courses will “focus on training health sector professionals for the broader health system.”

“There is enormous potential to improve the health and wellbeing of individuals and wellbeing of society as a whole.”

Similar courses are currently offered at Massey University, University of Canterbury, and Auckland University of Technology. When asked what will differentiate VUW’s proposed courses, Coster said they are “looking at New Zealand’s health system as a whole” and will “draw on [the university’s] strengths as a capital city university with a global perspective.”

In response to whether or not there is intent to extend the faculty to include clinical and medical subjects, Coster told Salient it “will be undertaking the teaching of clinical subjects in the future,” however “does not intend to undertake the training of doctors.”

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this