April 3, 2017 | by  | in Can Do |

Access Denied

My name is Georgie, I’m the current president of CanDo, and I’m blind. Blind in the sense (hah) that I have 10% of the vision of a fully sighted person. Being a young blind person and having some usable sight seems to confuse people, and they temporarily lose the ability to think before they speak. Here are a few of the more absurd things people have said to me, and the comebacks I wish I thought of at the time:

1. “I’m blind without my glasses too!” — You’ve misinterpreted me. You’re “blind” WITHOUT your glasses (AKA not blind), I’m blind WITH my glasses. Without my glasses, I’ve reached some next level sorcery.
  2. “It’s okay, you don’t look blind.” — What… does a blind person look like?? Because I looked pretty blind when I fell down the stairs approximately 0.2 seconds ago. Stinks of “you’re not like THOSE disabled people” too.
  3. “WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOUR EEEEYES.” — I had a moment of panicked OH SHIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM before realising what this person meant. But apparently I “don’t look blind.”
  4. “Don’t worry, there’ll be a cure one day!” — There’s a cure for douchebaggery too but you don’t seem to have found it yet. Eyes are complicated, brains are complicated, and I’m pretty happy being blind.
  5. “So… what happened?” — I… was born? I don’t know what you want me to say, I don’t have a tragic backstory. Even if I did you need another 50 approval points before unlocking it.
  6. “Have you ever considered laser eye surgery.” — Now this one was incredibly impressive since it came from the person who had the power to accept or deny my disability support.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel