April 3, 2017 | by  | in Can Do |

Access Denied

My name is Georgie, I’m the current president of CanDo, and I’m blind. Blind in the sense (hah) that I have 10% of the vision of a fully sighted person. Being a young blind person and having some usable sight seems to confuse people, and they temporarily lose the ability to think before they speak. Here are a few of the more absurd things people have said to me, and the comebacks I wish I thought of at the time:

1. “I’m blind without my glasses too!” — You’ve misinterpreted me. You’re “blind” WITHOUT your glasses (AKA not blind), I’m blind WITH my glasses. Without my glasses, I’ve reached some next level sorcery.
  2. “It’s okay, you don’t look blind.” — What… does a blind person look like?? Because I looked pretty blind when I fell down the stairs approximately 0.2 seconds ago. Stinks of “you’re not like THOSE disabled people” too.
  3. “WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOUR EEEEYES.” — I had a moment of panicked OH SHIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM before realising what this person meant. But apparently I “don’t look blind.”
  4. “Don’t worry, there’ll be a cure one day!” — There’s a cure for douchebaggery too but you don’t seem to have found it yet. Eyes are complicated, brains are complicated, and I’m pretty happy being blind.
  5. “So… what happened?” — I… was born? I don’t know what you want me to say, I don’t have a tragic backstory. Even if I did you need another 50 approval points before unlocking it.
  6. “Have you ever considered laser eye surgery.” — Now this one was incredibly impressive since it came from the person who had the power to accept or deny my disability support.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot