April 10, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editor’s Letter

Thank you, to the artists and writers whose generous contributions have made this issue possible. Thank you to Laura and Tim. My favourite way to experience art is in print. It allows for easy return.

Images are always loaded. They deserve questioning. So please, look through this issue and give weight to your own readings. A teacher once told me that the worst art is the art which doesn’t make you feel anything. She was wrong, I think. I always find the worst art the art that sets out to meaninglessly provoke. But that’s a harder line to define. What I mean to say is that I hope this issue engages you in conversation, or in argument, which is surely the least art should do.

Go look at art. Or refuse to go look at art. Have strong feelings. Question the structures in which we consume art, the sponsors that make it possible, and the hierarchies that determine who we see and who we don’t. Or, if it’s all too much, just go to the openings. Drink the free wine. If you really hate the work, trip. Spill your drink on the bad art and leave before they issue you an invoice.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos