April 10, 2017 | by  | in Editorial |

Editor’s Letter

Thank you, to the artists and writers whose generous contributions have made this issue possible. Thank you to Laura and Tim. My favourite way to experience art is in print. It allows for easy return.

Images are always loaded. They deserve questioning. So please, look through this issue and give weight to your own readings. A teacher once told me that the worst art is the art which doesn’t make you feel anything. She was wrong, I think. I always find the worst art the art that sets out to meaninglessly provoke. But that’s a harder line to define. What I mean to say is that I hope this issue engages you in conversation, or in argument, which is surely the least art should do.

Go look at art. Or refuse to go look at art. Have strong feelings. Question the structures in which we consume art, the sponsors that make it possible, and the hierarchies that determine who we see and who we don’t. Or, if it’s all too much, just go to the openings. Drink the free wine. If you really hate the work, trip. Spill your drink on the bad art and leave before they issue you an invoice.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip