April 10, 2017 | by  | in News Splash |

Fairer Fares Final Hurdle

VUWSA are urging students and ratepayers to make submissions to the GWRC to secure fairer fares for 2018.

After a five-year long battle for student fares on public transport, the GRWC made a commitment to consider the issue in the Consultation Document for the 2018 Annual Plan.

VUWSA want to see this “commitment to consider” translate into a categorical statement that the GWRC will fund student fares in the Final Annual Plan — which would mean a 50% discount on public transport for all tertiary students.

VUWSA have launched a campaign website, www.fairerfares.org, to enable people to make submissions on the draft annual plan.

The campaign has gained significant support, including from National MP Chris Bishop, Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford, and Mayor Justin Lester, who have reflected on the need to make tertiary education as accessible as possible.

As said by student and Fairer Fares advocate Ali Leota, “a 50% discount for tertiary students on public transport is about removing barriers to achievement and it is about providing an equal opportunity for all Wellington tertiary students.”

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.