April 10, 2017 | by  | in News Splash |

Fairer Fares Final Hurdle

VUWSA are urging students and ratepayers to make submissions to the GWRC to secure fairer fares for 2018.

After a five-year long battle for student fares on public transport, the GRWC made a commitment to consider the issue in the Consultation Document for the 2018 Annual Plan.

VUWSA want to see this “commitment to consider” translate into a categorical statement that the GWRC will fund student fares in the Final Annual Plan — which would mean a 50% discount on public transport for all tertiary students.

VUWSA have launched a campaign website, www.fairerfares.org, to enable people to make submissions on the draft annual plan.

The campaign has gained significant support, including from National MP Chris Bishop, Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford, and Mayor Justin Lester, who have reflected on the need to make tertiary education as accessible as possible.

As said by student and Fairer Fares advocate Ali Leota, “a 50% discount for tertiary students on public transport is about removing barriers to achievement and it is about providing an equal opportunity for all Wellington tertiary students.”