Hong Kong “elects” first female Chief Executive

Carrie Lam will become Hong Kong’s first female chief executive when she takes office on July 1.

The position was chosen by 1194 electors selected from Hong Kong’s 7.3 million population, most being influential business or political figures.

Lam won 777 of these electoral votes, although former financial secretary John Tsang polled more favourably among the public.

The electoral system in Hong Kong has been widely criticised by supporters of democracy. The New York Times reported that protesters outside the voting centre were blocked by police with metal barricades.

Protester Mabel Yau said, “China promised that Hong Kong people would run Hong Kong […] Today, only 1200 people are representing us in electing the chief executive. Is it fair?”

The unrest following Lam’s appointment stems from the failed attempt she led in 2014 to overhaul the city’s election process. The proposed reform would have allowed the chief executive be chosen by direct popular vote, but required candidates to be screened by Beijing before they appeared on the ballot — a restriction that rendered the “reform” ineffective, in the view of protesters at the time.

Since her appointment, Lam has been eager to prioritise a united Hong Kong.

“Hong Kong, our home, is suffering from quite a serious divisiveness,” she said in her victory speech. “My priority will be to heal the divide and to ease the frustration.”

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip