April 10, 2017 | by  | in VUWSA |

Presidential Address

Last Wednesday, VUWSA held its Initial General Meeting in the Hub.

Despite the great turnout, there was obviously a few thousand of you who were chomping at the bit to be there but weren’t able to, so I’m going to take this opportunity to fill you in on what happened.

Things started off on an exciting note, as always, with the obligatory lap of the Hub urging students to get inside the yellow rope so we could reach the required quorum of 100 students. By 1:11pm we were ready to go and started dancing through the agenda items. Apologies, tick! Minutes from the previous meeting, tick!

The draft audit was presented without a hitch, barring the rightful objection to the small font. I’ll take that one on the chin. There’s only one thing worse than reading a financial audit, and that’s reading it in size 6 font.

Last year’s annual report was presented to general approval. 2016 was a massive year with the success of our Student Friendly Wellington campaign, launch of a new Strategic Plan, and the best O-Week in some time (only to be surpassed by 2017 O-Week of course).

The most substantive item of the day was a constitutional change to allow the officers on our executive to get paid minimum wage for the ten hours that they work each week.

I was absolutely stoked that the meeting was overwhelmingly supportive of this long overdue change. We should be ensuring that the representative positions on our executive are accessible to all, not just those who can afford it. (See my Issue 04 column for more on this).

Somehow we also managed to fit in a by-election in which, of the two excellent candidates, Thomas Rackley, who was previously acting in the role, was elected as the Treasurer/Secretary.

The meeting finished in true VUWSA style with a pizza feast and to my dismay there was even pineapple. Thankfully we were spared any spaghetti.

10. International Queer in Review