April 3, 2017 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Te Ara Tauira

Let your care guide your focus

I’ve been mulling over this thought for the past couple of weeks and the more I think about it, the more its peculiarity strikes me. New Zealand society/society in general humanises a lot of concepts, but this definitely isn’t one of them. “Follow your heart”, “let your emotions run wild”, are more familiar to us. But I’ve been finding that this gem is great for discerning the best places to channel my focus, both in and out of uni, and I hope it helps you do the same.

Have you ever thought about why you care about some things and not others? Why, maybe, you love Māori waiata but can’t stand Shakespeare? Or math but not English? Or any other combination of disciplines or mediums. Why is it that our cares are drawn towards certain causes, topics or movements, but not others? While I don’t have an answer, we’re all gifted with different talents and cares for a reason; they challenge us to shape or tear down, further or redesign the status quo. Hans Zimmer puts it this way: “The seconds of your life are ticking away. If someone tells you there’s a rule, break it. That’s the only thing that moves things forward.”

Our care is powerful — it spurs us on to keep fighting until we see change, like the Whanganui river gaining personhood or the Wellington College protests against rape culture. As you go about your week, experiment with letting your care guide your focus and observing what changes; fusing it into your essays or research papers, going back over that old dream you put on the shelf, or the job you’ve been tossing up applying for. Our focus is guided and demanded by so many things, why not make it those which we care for?

Ngā mihi e hoa mā.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this