April 3, 2017 | by  | in The Queer Agenda |

The Queer Agenda

Gender is something some of us never have to think twice about. For others, it is the first thing on our minds when we wake up and the last before we fall asleep. Gender is something so ingrained, with so many unspoken and socially enforced rules, that as soon as you start to question it the only appropriate response is “oh, fuck.”

Gender identity is complex. While there is value in searching for a label, a category, something that you can fit into and belong to, it is not the be-all-end-all. I am so grateful to myself for embarking on my own journey, not necessarily because of the promise of figuring out where I fit in, but because of the self-awareness it has given me. Genderquesting™ is a very introspective, personal experience. It has been hard sometimes, but also incredibly fulfilling. This would not have been possible without UniQ’s Gender Club.

When I found Gender Club last year and the support it provided, I felt like I didn’t have to justify myself for the first time. It was so validating, and I am thankful to UniQ that a space like this exists here at all. It is a space to just be yourself and explore yourself, and is totally supportive of any questions or worries you might have.

I will try my hardest, as Trans Representative for UniQ this year, to make Gender Club that again this year: an inclusive space where anyone who is trans, nonbinary, genderqueer, nonconforming, or questioning their identity can come to and feel safe, accepted, and valid to talk — or just be.

At the end of the day we’re all human beings who deserve the same rights as one another, the same opportunities to live our lives to the fullest, to be respected, and, most importantly, to be happy. Gender Club enables this for our gender diverse whānau.

1