April 10, 2017 | by  | in VicUFO |

VIC UFO

It seems a bizarre concept that, even in 2017, women have to call men out on misogynistic behaviour. An even more bizarre version of this is having to argue with your male middle aged lecturers about what constitutes as feminism, and that in fact the discourse they are trying to discuss in class is a misogynistic view. This happened very recently.

Our male lecturer attempted to argue, to a tutorial made up entirely of women, that women posing partially nude on the cover of fashion magazines such as Vogue is a form of selling yourself, and in turn you cannot be feminist and “sell your body”. Although I know his intention was to evoke a discussion within the class, his inability to comprehend our rhetoric came across as him playing the defence and in turn taking a misogynistic standpoint.

The women in our tutorial were all relatively on the same page. Women can do whatever the fuck they want, whether this means posing semi-nude and advertising accessories, or being a spokesperson for the UN, or even sucking dick for cash. As long it is consenting, and feels empowering to you, then it is feminist.

Yes, women can portray themselves as sexual beings and still be successful and respected. Women are multifaceted, there is not one trope we have to perform to at any given time. Men (especially those within academies) failing to understand contemporary feminist discourse makes for tedious discussion. Women should not have to constantly tell you why your opinion on our bodies and behaviour is misogynistic. It is not on us to regularly put you in check.

If you are an academic wishing to engage with your female, trans, and gender minority students, maybe it’s time you do your own readings and research.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos