April 10, 2017 | by  | in V-ISA |

Voices of V-ISA

Art. It’s the language that everyone speaks and no one fully understands. Everyone’s a native speaker and a critic.

Whether it’s repeated images of Campbell’s tomato soup (Campbell’s Soup Cans by Andy Warhol), mirrored rooms with floating lights (Infinity Mirror Room by Yayoi Kusama), or a huge, metal bean (Cloud Gate by Anish Kapoor), art all around the world has taken a confusing turn over the last century. It can be anything and doesn’t just hang in galleries, museums, or in the mansions of billionaires. Nowadays, anyone can enjoy art and anyone can make art. Of course that doesn’t mean anyone will appreciate it but, with such a variety, there’s bound to be something for everyone.

Lucky for us, Wellington has often been called “the arts and culture capital.” What does this mean? It means that there’s fresh and funky art to be found around nearly every corner and in nearly every backyard. You’ve probably even seen some of it on your way to classes or to buy the groceries.

Around VUW’s campuses you may have noticed exquisitely detailed pen drawings by an unknown artist, buried in the usual scribbles in the lecture halls in Hunter building. While down the hill, everyone has seen the famous naked man standing in a gravity-defying pose on the waterfront (Solace in the Wind by Max Patte) and the new twin David Bowies gracing Ghuznee Street, both great examples of art on our streets.

If you’re into posh galleries and art that actually hangs on walls, head to our very own Adam Art Gallery at Kelburn campus, or if you are passing through town check out the City Gallery at Civic Square, which hosts famous and often interactive installations.

So get out there and enjoy this colourful little city! Great undocumented finds await!

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine