April 3, 2017 | by  | in News Splash |

What’s with the Wi-Fi?

VUW’s Wi-Fi system is struggling with an increase in the number and frequency of users, according to ITS Director Stuart Haselden.

Following widespread reports of slow Wi-Fi, and even outages in some parts of the campuses, Salient approached ITS about the issue. According to Haselden, the average number of Wi-Fi users has jumped by almost 5000, from 16,500 to over 21,000.

“No other changes have been made [to the system] apart from increase in use.”

In order to rectify this issue, ITS is “looking to increase our bandwidth with our vendor — i.e. to purchase more capacity.”

Various posts on unofficial VUW Facebook pages have identified an issue with accessing the Facebook Messenger application on campus Wi-Fi. Comments range from those who claim “this is an absolute stitch up” to others who have labelled the Wi-Fi access as “a joke.”

When asked about the issues specifically with Messenger, Haselden said “from a Service Desk perspective, we’ve had no more than two or three calls regarding an issue with Facebook Messenger. We are not getting flooded with calls about this.”

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future