April 3, 2017 | by  | in News Splash |

What’s with the Wi-Fi?

VUW’s Wi-Fi system is struggling with an increase in the number and frequency of users, according to ITS Director Stuart Haselden.

Following widespread reports of slow Wi-Fi, and even outages in some parts of the campuses, Salient approached ITS about the issue. According to Haselden, the average number of Wi-Fi users has jumped by almost 5000, from 16,500 to over 21,000.

“No other changes have been made [to the system] apart from increase in use.”

In order to rectify this issue, ITS is “looking to increase our bandwidth with our vendor — i.e. to purchase more capacity.”

Various posts on unofficial VUW Facebook pages have identified an issue with accessing the Facebook Messenger application on campus Wi-Fi. Comments range from those who claim “this is an absolute stitch up” to others who have labelled the Wi-Fi access as “a joke.”

When asked about the issues specifically with Messenger, Haselden said “from a Service Desk perspective, we’ve had no more than two or three calls regarding an issue with Facebook Messenger. We are not getting flooded with calls about this.”

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn