May 29, 2017 | by  | in Shit Chat |

bUt WhAt AbOuT tHe MeN and Other Shit Chat

Good morning to everyone except the people feeling personally attacked by my “men are trash” chat two weeks ago, and welcome to your bi-weekly intake of petty, aggressive, and unapologetic feminism!

Entering into an open dialogue with people of opposing ideologies is one of many available methodologies one might utilise as a means to engage with the complexities of critical theory and to contest socially constructed inequalities. It’s just not the methodology for me. Personally, I’m done with arguing the legitimacy of women’s marginalisation. Personally, I favour goading people until they prove my point for me.

Clothing doesn’t have a fucking gender, Robert. “One thing’s for sure: the RompHim’s wild popularity is evidence that the American man’s thirst for comfortable clothing and convenience may never be quenched.” Counterpoint, GQ: the RompHim’s wild popularity is evidence that the American man’s absolute disdain for anything perceived as “feminine” is unparalleled. Produce a line of tiaras and market them For Men™ and within days you’ll see a Buzzfeed listicle titled “Ten Men Wearing Tiaras That You’ll Want To Take Home”, featuring some excessively bearded (but meticulously groomed) Chad in the thumbnail.

Masculinity Is So Damn Fragile

So crucial to male self-worth is glorifying machismo and belittling femininity that if I wear a short salmon romper and blast IG with pictures of similarly-clad friends, I’m a ho, but if a guy wears a short salmon romper and markets it as a fucking RompHim, he’s peak pop-fashion. Masculinity and femininity as a rigidly enforced dichotomy is a massive cuck, bruh. Nobody wins. You’re being cucked by your RompHims, Robert. Don’t get me wrong — I’m all for wearing rompers whatever it is you’re packing — but I’m pretty salty at assholes out here calling us sluts and then borrowing our wardrobes. Among other things.

Men Are Trash

You are entirely correct, Robert, not all men are awful, but “masculinity” definitely is. Vociferating men as a collective for accommodating toxic masculinity is not tantamount to hating every single individual man on earth — not that I’d blame you if you did. Not being able to differentiate between Men as an oppressive collective and men as individuals seems like more of a You problem than a Me problem at this stage, Robert.

There is obviously something to be said for temperate and moderate epistemological debates pertaining to contemporary gender dynamics; they’re just not for me. I’m angry, I’m tired, and I’m sick of your shit, Robert. I’m sick of listening to men contradict women’s lived experiences, and I’m sick of the expectation that I will do so in a dispassionate and level-headed manner. I’m sick of having to debate the validity of my existence. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a thousand times — men are trash — and if you’re offended by this, Robert, you’re probably part of the problem.

Love u, XOXO

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop