May 29, 2017 | by  | in Eye on Exec |

Eye on Exec

Because we attend all these meetings anyway, and because someone requested, we resuscitated this section. Below are updates deemed relevant from the VUWSA Executive meeting on May 22 — minutes are posted on the VUWSA website.

President Rory Lenihan-Ikin updated the Executive on VUWSA’s oral submission to the Greater Wellington Regional Council that requests for Fairer Fares to be included in their long-term plan that is decided in October. He also reviewed the Living Wage event on May 10 as a success, recalling the “warm feeling in the Hub.”

There were oral reports of several internal committees, all of which Treasurer/Secretary Tom Rackley delivered. The Policy Committee have delegated VUWSA policies to each member to  review. The Executive Reporting Committee have reviewed reports. The Student Media Committee is “meeting soon” to address a reform of the Committee itself, an issue discussed earlier that day by the Constitutional Review Committee.

VUWSA have decided that after holding on to lost property items for a certain period of time, items will be sold, and the money donated towards the Executive’s chosen charity: InsideOUT Aotearoa. VUW policy is that lost property comes to VUWSA and staff hand items to the VUWSA reception.

VUWSA voted against allowing political parties to advertise on their channels online and off. They decided it was not worth giving up their reputation and credibility as a non-partisan organisation, which would be at risk without balanced advertisement, something that would be too difficult to manage.

Education Officer Lauren Daroux Greig reported that Te Aro campus had the lowest rate of flu shots, with only 29 students using the service. Low engagement with Te Aro students is a recurring concern.

The meeting went into committee for nearly an hour, which Salient is unable to report on.

1