May 8, 2017 | by  | in Film |

Get Out (2017)

From one half of the comedy duo that brought us “A-A-Ron” and action comedy about the world’s cutest kitten, comes a horror film centred around race and the condition of African American men in the US. I often don’t buy into hype, and have a particular loathing for Rotten Tomatoes, but if the premise hadn’t already hooked me the 99% rating would’ve. Fun fact: that one bad review on the website comes from Armond White who is considered a notorious troll and routinely positively reviews Adam Sandler films and pretty much nothing else. Oh, and he heckled Steve McQueen at a screening of 12 Years A Slave.

But hype aside, there is an undeniably original and evocative film to be found here. The obvious subject matter is in itself brilliant, and the director Jordan Peele’s roots in comedy shine through in the darkest of humour based mostly on stereotypes. Where in some horror movies a protagonist finds themselves in a hillbilly town surrounded by ravenous rednecks, Chris finds himself at his girlfriend’s family get-together surrounded by rich white people. What comes in equal measure to the comedy is raw emotion and palpable tension, because these white people are creepy as fuck.

Peele shows a deft hand in utilising the horror genre with lingering, intrusive camerawork and a great score, but shows equal talent making a horror that is actually surprising. Often you’ll get a sense that you know where it’s going only to find out you are completely wrong, as the narrative is something quite apart from most horror films. Also, no spoilers, but Chris isn’t an idiot. He doesn’t make dumb-ass decisions. Daniel Kaluuya gives a fantastic performance as a man completely out of his depth and who can feel the walls slowly closing in around him. The rest of the cast (the aforementioned creepy white people) fill in the gaps with plenty of craziness and cringe, and Chris’s friend Rod (Lil Rey Howery) is a hilarious addition.

This is the latest in a fantastic run from Blumhouse Productions who have released a slew of indie horror over the last few years, and I strongly recommend you track it down, for its own sake, as well as to support great indie horror films. Others include Split, Hush, Ouija: Origin of Evil, The Gift, Oculus and also The Invitation (which is not Blumhouse but is on Netflix). While they’ve actually released a lot of absolute crap, these are the ones that are worth checking out.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t