ART - Music - Glass Vaults
May 22, 2017 | by  | in Music |

Glass Vaults — The New Happy

Glass Vaults released their second album The New Happy last week, following their first full length Sojourn in 2015. The new album was recorded over the last two years in Blue Barn Recording Studios out in Mount Cook. The band is originally from Wellington with members now spread out to Christchurch and Auckland.

Frontman Richard Larsen talked to Salient about the new record, and explained some of the band’s influences and intentions with this new collection of songs. “The vibe came from the music me and Rowan were getting into at the time which was a lot of ’80s New York Vibe music. Listening to a lot of Talking Heads, Grace Jones, I think that really influenced the sound and production of the record.”

While Sojourn felt a little more wide and washed out. The New Happy is defined by its tight grooves and carefully selected sound set, showing the influence of those New York acts of the ’80s. The song “Brooklyn” (written after spending a while in New York playing shows) features particularly Talking Heads-y guitar stabs and a pulsing rhythm section. Larsen’s vocals are airy and washed out, jumping around interesting melodies in a way that reminded me a bit of Arthur Russell. I asked Richard about this: “That’s interesting, I’m not a massive fan, I’ve listened to a little bit, but Bevan who plays Bass synth and does all our production and mixing and stuff, he’s a big Arthur Russell fan. He has talked to me about being influenced by him for this record too.”

Glass Vaults are about to head out on a New Zealand tour with dates in Dunedin, Christchurch, and Auckland. The Wellington show is on the June 1 at Caroline with Terror of the Deep and Womb. “We hand selected the bands we are playing with.” Richard says Charlotte from Womb is a really good friend of ours and I’ve always really liked her music and we’ve been talking about doing some shows together for ages.”

Check out The New Happy on all the regular streaming services or at glassvaults.bandcamp.com.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn