Landslide victory for Rouhani in Iranian election

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has won a second term in an endorsement of his moderate approach, and after a campaign defined by poverty, unemployment, and the 2015 nuclear deal.

Rouhani, of the centrist Moderation and Development Party, won 23 million votes, defeating hardline jurist Ebrahim Raisi of the Combatant Clergy Association, who received 15.7 million.

In his victory speech, Rouhani said “yesterday, you said no to those who wanted us to return to the past.”

A spokesperson for the Iranian Embassy in Wellington told Salient that the election “showed that stability and security in Iran are deep rooted,” while neighbouring countries “are suffering from insecurity and terrorism.”

They added that Rouhani’s re-election would see the economy grow and external economic relations expand, as well as “further expansion of Tehran-Wellington ties in all fields.”

Iran’s urban middle class and youth supported Rouhani and his policies of international openness and economic reconstruction, while Raisi appealed to poor, religious Iranians and conservative clerics with his platform of anti-corruption and desire to repair Iran’s economy independently.

The spokesperson from the Iranian Embassy confirmed that voter turnout from Iranians in Wellington exceeded 50 per cent, and thanked VUW, Massey and Auckland Universities “for providing us with the venue to open polling stations and giving Iranian students the opportunity to vote.”

1. Issue 14, Vol 81: Queerlient
  2. Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
  3. Words Cut Loose
  4. Corduroy – “The Usual” Single Review
  5. Nanette
  6. Alex Strangelove
  7. The Normal Heart
  8. Analysing the Queer Content in Children’s Puberty Books
  9. Podcasts Are For the Gays
  10. From the Archives