Let Girls be Girls

A Tongan advocacy group has launched a campaign to prevent child marriages.

The Talitha Project Tonga launched the Let Girls Be Girls! campaign on May 19. The campaign seeks to lift the legal age of marriage in Tonga to 18 years old. Currently, those aged between 15–17 are able to marry with parental consent.

Vanessa Heleta, the Director of the Talitha Project, told Salient that “allowing children to marry, particularly girls, puts them at risk of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse, forced pregnancy, domestic servitude, restrictions of movement and autonomy, and lack of access to education.”

Heleta said that changing the law would allow children to “fully develop themselves intellectually, socially, physically, and spiritually.”

Government response to the project has been positive. Heleta said that the Minister of Justice, Sione Vuna Fa’otusia, was in “full support.”

The CEO of the Ministry of Justice, Susana Faletau, was also said to be “passionate” about the campaign.

Public response is more varied. Heleta acknowledged that while the majority of the public response has been “very positive,” there has “been resistance from others, but that can be expected.”

Despite mixed opinions, Heleta remains adamant — “this is not just a legal obligation […] it’s a moral obligation.”

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop