New road names to reflect local history

Approximately 18 kilometers of State Highway One are set to become local roads after being superseded by the $630 million Kāpiti expressway. The process involves the seven new sections eventually being given new road names to reflect the change.

The Kāpiti Coast District Council has proposed names which reflect the local history of the district and the nearby regions.

The proposed road names are Hurumutu Road, Hokowhiti Road, Rauoterangi Road, Kakakura Road, Unaiki Road, Katu Road, and Matene Te Whiwhi Road.

Perhaps the most historical is the naming of Kakakura Road, referring to Wiremu Te Kakakura Parata (Wi Parata). Wi Parata donated the land that the present township of Waikanae sits on to Pākehā, and brought the historical case against the Bishop of Wellington in which the Treaty of Waitangi was held to be a “simple nullity.”

The Green Party’s candidate for the Te Tai Hauāuru electorate Jack McDonald said that the language was part of this nation’s collective history

“I would commend the council for taking this step. It’s a way of educating the community about our own local history.”

Some negative responses have come from Pākehā locals, who have called the names “unpronounceable” and “PC gone haywire.”

Mike Judd, from Paraparaumu, said the names were too hard to pronounce, but argued, “I’m not a racist. I’ve just come back from a family reunion where there’s a very big percentage of Māori in my family.”

1. Dirty Money, Clean Woman
  2. Dear Nathaniel
  3. The Social Lives of Group Chats
  4. We Don’t Do Vegetables
  5. Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  6. Audit – Law Revue
  7. The Last Supper: VUW and VUWSA on KJ
  8. VUW’s Own Gloria Fraser Develops Queer Mental Health Resources
  9. Issue 21 – Default
  10. Biophilic buildings— ‘The living pā’ complex