May 8, 2017 | by  | in TV |

On Rewatching Lost

On September 22, 2004, the first episode of Lost aired. On March 29, 2017, Jetstar cancelled my second flight in a row in two days from Auckland to Wellington. Spontaneously, I pitched in with three strangers to hire a rental car and we made an 11 hour drive. We listened to my highschool iPod and also the Hamilton soundtrack. Everything worked out fine and no one murdered me, but (it’s coming) luckily I didn’t end up in a plane crash 1000 miles off course on a mysterious dangerous island sparsely populated with polar bears, barefoot psychopaths, and violent clouds of smoke! Because I still wouldn’t get a refund from Jetstar.

If you managed to avoid any knowledge of the huge pop culture event that was Lost, it follows a group of strangers struggling for survival after their plane crashes on a seemingly deserted island somewhere in the South Pacific. However, the survivors of Oceanic flight 815 quickly find out they are not alone, and then shit gets CRAZY. Like, it’s bananas. This is my third attempt at completely watching it; the first time was when it aired in my first year of high school, but I fell off around season four after missing too many episodes; the second time was with an ex-boyfriend early 2010, but we broke up and I never got to watch the last season. For a show that so heavily centers around finding out what the fuck is going on, I’ve managed to avoid finding out what actually happens at the end of Lost all this time. Now, with my flatmate who had never seen a single episode, I am embarking on my first proper series watch through.

This time there are a lot of things I’m noticing more, like the show’s incredible tension headache of a score and the full scope of the story and island itself. I also cry in every episode with a John Locke flashback, and every time Jin and Sun embrace. As always, Hurley is the best character and that’s why he gets a Weezer album with his face on it (see Weezer, Hurley, Epitaph Records, 2010). The show’s two-part pilot holds up as one of the best series openers in television for me, serving as a fast-paced and sharply written introduction to the world of Lost, claustrophobic and hyper realistic plane crash included, and it ups the ante every episode. Every single person in the 40+ person cast is in constant danger and it looks extremely physically demanding, which perhaps explains the multitude of disorderly driving offenses incurred by lead actors during the show’s six year filming in Hawaii.

For fans of sci-fi, action, and dramatic television, Lost is a load of fun to watch, even for me when I’ve seen it (mostly) twice before. For every answer you receive per episode (of which there are 121 total over six seasons) there are 30 more questions asked in the last two minutes of each, while you hold your hands to your face like Kevin McAllister every time, nearly smashing your trackpad in your desperation to queue up the next one. Where is this island? Why did the plane crash? What are all those noises? Who is this French lady? Who are “the Others”? How did the dog survive the crash from the luggage compartment? Where did all those knives come from? Are all the Australian accents on this show fake? Why is masculinity so toxic? What is Jack’s fucking deal? Until I finish season six please, no spoilers. And promise me you’ll never fly Jetstar.

1