May 1, 2017 | by  | in One Ocean |

One Ocean

Homesickness

After nearly three years of living away from home, I’ve come to think that homesickness isn’t always about missing the place you lived before you moved away. A lot of times, being homesick is about the little things — the small conveniences you once enjoyed.

I remember how exciting it was to move to New Zealand… until I got on a bus and it started moving before I, and several others, were seated. Another time, I was at my hall of residence, and someone called my friend and I “iiiiiiiiiidiots!” for not knowing how to use a microwave (because it’s a matter of life and death, everyone on earth should know how to use one!). Then we both started missing how uncomplicated life once was.

It’s not always the actions of other people that trigger homesickness. Maybe you’ve been eating noodles for two weeks because you have three essays to work on plus a worksheet (yay?). You would cook, but it’d take two hours — plus washing up time — and that would mean you wouldn’t make the 12pm deadline the next day. When that happens to me, I miss my dad’s chop suey that just never seems to finish.

Most of my relatives in New Zealand just happen to not live in Wellington. The local Pasifika community seems to have set up base in Auckland. Sometimes, homesickness is wanting to go to Mangere and see where my dad went to school, just so I can feel like I’m somewhere familiar.

This isn’t a “what to do about-” piece. I still don’t know precisely why pieces of our former, even “less glamorous” lives in our crowded suburbs and on our little islands stay with us for so long. But I’ve always believed that they help us stay grounded, connected, and motivated. I think they’re worth keeping, and worth passing on.

1