May 8, 2017 | by  | in Politics |

The Party Line

On April 19, the government announced changes to New Zealand’s immigration policy. Low skilled migrants will have their time in New Zealand limited to a maximum of three years, while skilled migrants now have to meet a remuneration threshold — $48,859 for skilled jobs, and $73,299 for well-paid jobs considered low-skilled. Immigration Minister Michael Woodhouse stated that the changes are “aimed at managing the number and improving the quality of migrants coming to New Zealand.” On RNZ‘s Morning Report, on April 26, Labour Party leader Andrew Little went further and stated “we need to reduce immigration and it needs to be in the tens of thousands.” What are your thoughts on immigration — do levels need to be reduced?

Young Nats — Lower North Island

The Young Nats are proud to be members of the only party in New Zealand with a balanced and sensible view on immigration that recognises the value of immigrants to our economy and society.

As an organisation, the Young Nats understand that immigrants contribute to our country, and if we simply “turn the tap off” to future migrants we lose those contributions to other, more open and welcoming, countries. This threatens our future prosperity as a diverse, confident, and outward looking nation.

The recent announcement by Minister Woodhouse is sensible and straightforward policy that ensures New Zealand remains a welcoming country for migrants and protects against any untoward behaviour and treatment.

The National Government has been clear that as a nation founded and built by immigrants we need to remain true to our commitment to being a diverse and outward looking country; the Young Nats agree.

— Sam Stead

VicLabour

We stand strongly against race based rhetoric that too often ties itself to talk about immigration reform. Politicians like Winston have tried to make immigration discussion racist since ages ago, and that’s not right.

Labour is standing for a rethink of what immigration we can sustainably manage. People coming to New Zealand are valuable to our society’s culture and economy. It is our responsibility to make sure that the infrastructure we have in place, stuff like housing and jobs, are able to give new immigrants the Kiwi dream that they deserve.

National’s tinkering with the immigration numbers isn’t going to fix the problems of housing and infrastructure. By not reviewing properly how immigration works they are letting down the people who choose to live here. The only way to guarantee a sustainable country that can give immigrants the life all Kiwi’s dream of is with a Labour government.

Greens at Vic

We reject the xenophobic narratives coming from other political parties. The problems that are blamed on immigrants are caused by 33 years of neoliberal policies. Immigrants contribute to the economy and to tax revenue; the solutions to the following issues will be funded by money immigration generates.

The housing crisis was caused by deregulation of speculation and successive governments’ failure to build state housing. The real solutions to this are re-regulation and building quality, affordable state housing. Public services are under pressure due to systematic underfunding. Wage suppression is the result of trade unions having been smashed, the minimum wage declining in value, and the Reserve Bank’s policy of keeping unemployment above 5% to reduce worker bargaining power.

The solution is a rejuvenated union movement, a living wage, and full employment. We must stand in solidarity with migrant workers and proclaim them part of the solution to these problems, not the cause of them.  

— Elliot Crossan, Young Greens Co-Convener

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel